Refugees and asylum seekers in Preston and beyond are supported by a wide range of organisations. However, every organisation and activity relies on volunteers and charitable donations.
You can make a difference in Preston by offering:
- Time as a volunteer, such as making telephone calls, helping people to read letters, accompanying someone to the GP.
- Help with English : we have two voluntary classes a week with refugees and asylum seekers and Home Visits for stay-at-home mums.
- Support in finding employment for refugees or volunteering opportunities as all asylum seekers and refugees are entitled to this.
- Help with skill-based training (computer skills are crucial).
- Translations/interpreting -Arabic, Kurdish Sorani and Farsi at informal community events
- Help with transport (we need MIDAS-trained minibus drivers once a week and rely on driver volunteers).
- Donating specific household goods, furniture, clothing, dry food or money but also bicycles and cycling equipment.
- Offering a spare room for a night or longer for asylum seekers, through the Lancashire Sanctuary Homes Project.
- Help with organising sport and cultural events involving asylum seekers and refugees.
If you have other ideas, please just get in touch! If you would like to and are in a position to help local asylum seekers and refugees please register your offer by completing this form: Offer your support or emailing us on: [email protected]
Calling all teachers, academics, journalists, writers or people with writing skills!!
Preston City of Sanctuary would like your expertise to help adapt training courses for asylum seekers into simpler language. Training and guidance can be given on this. Please contact [email protected] for more information. Please title your email Writing Support for Asylum Seekers.